Monday, May 25, 2009

Does God Have Wings?

I think my mind may have wandered a bit when my Bible study tonight referenced the following verse:

The first thing that came to mind was the reminder that God wants to take care of me to the point of taking me "under His wings" and remembering that I've honestly felt Him that closed to me before in my past, in a specific instance like He was really holding me. Then there goes the wandering. I believe in Angels. Angels are represented as having wings (but I have not researched this as fact). We are made in God's image, and we have no wings. But, God wants to "cover you with his feathers" and we can find refuge "under his wings" - therefore, does God have wings? For some reason, I find that fascinating. I've never really had a picture of what I think God looks like in my mind (of course I do have an image of what Jesus looks like, not specific like all the pictures portray, but based on where He was born), but I've also never imagined Him with wings. This thought, no matter if it's true or not because in the end, it doesn't matter what He looks like, but this thought just makes me see my God as so much more than I already saw Him as being. I don't imagine those wings as dainty things - I imagine them as strong and protective, especially according to Psalm 91:4. I imagine them as powerful and graceful. The picture above doesn't do justice what my mind has imagined - but it's the best image that I could find on the internet.

Wouldn't it be neat if Psalm 91:4 is truly literal? My God might really have wings! *smile*

-Kristin Hope

9 comments:

  1. I believe that GOD does have wings... I believe that since we are created in HIS image, we also wings. I like to think that GOD put some of our properties on the inside (spirit/heart/feelings) and we can't physically see those things. Just like, we can't physically see HIM. However, if we concentrate and think about our surroundings, we know that HE is there (aka: we can see HIM with our minds). Those are just my thoughts on the matter. Thanks for posting that nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Danix!

    Thank you for your insightful thought - that's something I've never considered as well and it's very interesting to think about. :)

    Thanks for reading my blog!

    -Kristin Hope

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this lovely blog. I heard this the other day and I like you found this possibilty extremly fascinating. It made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just reading this psalm & was thinking the same thing. May be because He is the creator of everything humans,animals,angels,spirits,suns ...etc
    Then He has everything within ..light ,fire ,wings ,human simulation..,power, spirit..everything.Just thinking you know..
    Glad to have found another person wondering about same things, God bless wherever you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi here I am today wondering if does God have wings.... so interesting🤔😊

      Delete
  5. I believe God has literally has wings and i believe we will see Himm face to face .And His face is lite up like hot coals I believe we were made in His image literally nd we have His spiritual likeness

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe Jehovah has literal wings like that of an eagle, and also a literal head, like that of an ox.

    My beliefs are extremely unconventional.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this comforting post. I have seemed to be getting this theme of God gathering us under His wings lately through different devotionals, songs,sermons, etc, and have found it extremely comforting. And I long for it to be literal. So many people say that God is spirit, therefore, He doesn't have physical traits, like arms, hands, wings, eyes. But I hope they are wrong. Like you, I have also experienced the sensation of God literally hugging me, like not the physical sense of physical arms, but the warm sensation of being hugged, where all the hormones, like serotonin, are released in the body, and you feel like scrunching your shoulders together as if being squeezed in a hug. I always had a tendency to doubt that it was God and not just my own vivid imagination. However, after reading about you feeling the same thing, I have to believe that those hugs were from God Himself. Wow! How amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I am feeling a bit anxious, I often ask God to cover me with His wings and let me rest for a while from hurtful memories.
    I too believe in God's wings. I also believe that we are made in God's spiritual image so therefore our spirit within these earthly bodies have wings.
    I believe this earthly body keeps us incognito but one day we will fly away.
    If God gave the Angels wings why wouldn't He give them to us?

    ReplyDelete

Honest and respectful comments are welcome.
Thank you for your thoughts!

(Comment as "Name/URL" if you want to provide a name but do not want to log in to one of the specified profiles.)