Thursday, September 6, 2012

Indulge






September is PCOS Awareness Month and I want to help spread the word of a new resource that is available for anyone who needs/wants to learn more about PCOS.  I think the ladies who have started this group have a really good thing going, but more people need to be aware so the organization can grow.  Please visit 1-in-10 for more information - even if you don't have PCOS, it's likely that someone in your life may...

For September, I've joined a 30 Day Journal Challenge through 1-in-10.  I'll say it now - I will not focus on journaling every single day.  That will only stress me out.  However, I will focus on using the prompts to journal all 30 days, even if it takes several months instead of just 1.  If I make it in 1 month, then great.  If not, it's no big deal.  :)


Here's the Day 2 journal from 1-in-10 - 30 Day Journal Challenge:
Day 2 - 09/02/12
Hope everyone had a good time with the first day of our Journal Challenge. I always find it peaceful to spend the last of my evening before bed writing down some thoughts and feelings. My mind seems to always be "on" and I have a hard time at night shutting it "off", and when I get in the habit of writing in a journal, my mind seems to clear faster and I can fall asleep easier.
Day 2 Prompt:  How do you indulge yourself? What do you do solely for yourself as a reward or just to celebrate who you are? Do you need to do this more often?

*Remember your "Gratitude List" every day during our Journal Challenge! This is a wonderful way to feel more positive and happy in our lives.
Journal:  I've actually found that my definition of "indulge" has changed.  Before I learned about PCOS, I truly would indulge when I wanted to treat myself to food.  Now, for some people, and even me at times, this isn't a bad thing.  However, when I got serious about really eating healthier, I realized that I didn't want to indulge with food anymore - I'm not even really craving the things that I used to crave.  But because of this question, now I've realized that I need to find something else because everyone needs to have a "treat" of some sort on occasion.  I think what that means for me is that I need to focus on really doing the things that I want to do.  I find myself putting off the things I want in order to make other people happy, just because that's how I am - I usually am pretty easy-going, so I tend to be very indecisive and am just "along for the ride".  I need to be sure to indulge in my wants more than just every now and then.  Such as when I got a pedicure a few weeks ago.  The lady painted my toes with white tips, and I've absolutely loved wearing sandals lately because I love my toesies!  And, I bought shoes just for the occasion.  :)

Gratitude List....
  • "That's the nicest thing anyone's done for me today..." - This comment was said after I held the door open for someone when I was leaving work the other day.  I was ahead of him, and I saw him at the top of the stairs after I'd gone down a few steps.  He was an older gentleman and several feet behind me, but not too far.  I wouldn't have known he'd had a bad day had he not said these words.  He had a smile on his face, asked me if I was calling it a day, and I said "Yep!".  Then, I got to the bottom of the stairs, opened the door, and held it for him because he was almost down the stairs.  He laughed and then made his comment to me.  I just smiled and told him I hoped he had a good afternoon.  I've been thinking about his comment all week.  You never know where someone is at any point in their life.  They may appear completely fine, and happy.  But they may have had a really awful or challenging day.  And you may be that one person who decides to just hold the door open.  I was that person for this man I did not know.  What I do know is that I reminded him that the simplest of nice things can happen - and I hope that I made his afternoon just a little bit better.  This is on my gratitude list for this journal because I'm glad I was reminded that simple acts of kindness may go a long way - most of the time, I'm not privileged to knowing the impact.


Thanks for reading!  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Honest and respectful comments are welcome.
Thank you for your thoughts!

(Comment as "Name/URL" if you want to provide a name but do not want to log in to one of the specified profiles.)