Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Beautiful - How Odd

Wow, how odd. I heard this song for the first time today, and it really did bring back memories. My Freshman year of college, to be exact. I don't remember if it was the first semester or the second semester, but I'd take a bet that it was the second semester.

To explain a little, I didn't realize how much of a "self image" problem I really had at that point in my life. I don't really know when it started, but my mamma started letting me wear makeup when I was in the 6th grade, at least. I don't think I wore it before that, but I can't remember. The 6th grade stands out to me because I remember one of my middle school ID's and wow, I looked so much older than I really was. After that, I guess I eased up on the makeup because I started looking more my age. equal smile

So anyway, I just thought it was "normal" to wear makeup. Not that there's anything wrong with wearing makeup, please don't mistake this blabbering for me thinking it's wrong. But, I was a typical pre-teen and then went onto being a typical teenager who just expected that I always "had" to wear makeup. I guess it was like having your undies on - you just did it as a part of getting ready for the day.

Speed through to Freshman year of college. I don't remember what triggered it - that probably wasn't the important part. The important part is, I finally realized that I had a dependence on makeup. I realized that I did not feel pretty without it, that I wasn't complete without it, and God convicted me. I went cold-turkey. I just stopped wearing makeup - at all. It wasn't a protest, it wasn't because I thought makeup was bad - it was because I knew I had to get myself to realize that makeup didn't "Make Me". My beauty and my self-worth was in Jesus, and my individuality. Not makeup. The only way for me to realize that was to just stop wearing it and learn to be happy with me and the face that God blessed me with - I didn't come out of the womb with mascara, blush, and lipstick plastered to my face.

And you know what, it worked. I still don't usually wear makeup, and I've always had so many compliments on how pretty I am and how pretty my skin is. Makes me wonder how many other girls and women would realize the same thing if they took a "no makeup challenge" for a while. Now, sometimes I do get creative and feel the want to wear makeup - sometimes special occasions, sometimes just to be different that day. But it's a "want to"....rather than a "need to" that I felt for so many years.

Hope you enjoy the video - a reminder of where true beauty should come from:



-Kristin Hope

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing Kristin. I remember when you stopped wearing it. It is true that sometimes it is a dependence. I'm guilty of that sometimes! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete

Honest and respectful comments are welcome.
Thank you for your thoughts!

(Comment as "Name/URL" if you want to provide a name but do not want to log in to one of the specified profiles.)